Friday 9 May 2008

Who to believe....

I have just had some feedback on an assignment (a research proposal).

Nowadays, I no longer care what they say about my assignment, just whether I passed. I passed, so they can say what they like and I shall believe what I like and be amused by the rest. We get two markers and their comments are often somewhat conflicting. Today's feedback was the best so far.

Marker A: I do not think the proposed study is based on theory, nor do I see the clinical relevance of it. It is also not original and would not contribute to the field. (Aside: why did you pass it then? You clearly didn't read it as I clearly stated I was replicating a previous study in a different population than has been studied in the past. I personally think you rather missed the point.)

Marker B: The propsed study has a clear theoretical basis and has evident clinical implications. It is novel and innovative. You could take this further if you wanted to.

Obviously marker B made the more accurate assessment of my work, but the differences between my markers' comments often amuses me. This one was probably the starkest yet.

It also pisses me off - I have worked in research so I am well used to critical feedback. In fact, I thrive on it - but I thrive on it when I'm able to answer back and have a proper debate. The first marker clearly hadn't read what I'd written, and I seriously doubt I am as wonderful as B suggests. I actually feel quite peeved at their tatty comments scribbled on the feedback form. (Actually, I should be grateful, at least the feedback was legible this time). I passed - who cares, but if they wanted to develop me academically, they'd have to do better than this.

I can't help but feel that the academic work on my course puts me firmly in the role of the ignorant child learning from the all-knowledgeable tutors. So while I shall jump through the hoops and do what I need to do to pass the academic assignments, I can't help but think there must be a better way that actually makes trainees think and engage with their academic work.

No comments: